Skip to main content

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IF! AUTHORS

They are finally here! Today I received the babies, the first fruit of two years invested - The first copies of the first four Island Fiction titles arrived by courier; (still awaiting Time Swimmer and Delroy and the Marog Kingdom). There is a deep quiet and sense of satisfaction rising in me as I enjoy holding them, thumbing and rereading the pages, caressing and smelling the new paper - yes, this is a unique and privileged experience I know. I really feel wholly supportive of the books and their auhors - each one so derserving in his/ her own right. I feel honored to have enjoyed this responsibilty with which Macmillan Caribbean entrusted me - now if we could only get the books on the shelves - FINALLY! Happy Birthday Island Fiction!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UP A Tree, With a Good Book...

Think of your young readers this way: up a tree, with a good book and worried that the sixth book in the series marks the end, because then what will he do!  All 6 Island Fiction titles are available as e-books at: https://macmillancaribbeanebooks.com/  or jump to Time Swimmer by Gerald Haussman, one of my all time favorite teen titles: https://macmillancaribbeanebooks.com/timeswimmer.html Or why not kick start August reading with: Night of the Indigo by Michael Holgate which won a Silver Moonbeam Medal for "Teen Spirituality" https://macmillancaribbeanebooks.com/night-of-the-indigo.html Pictured: Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy Jackson Photo credit and copyright: J. Johnson What to read when Percy Jackson comes to an end? Now young Caribbean readers have a series rich in speculative fiction sci-fi, fantasy, magical realism. Check out all 6 titles of the  Caribbean's first-ever teen series with cinematic writing that even reluctant readers will...

The Presumed Power of Publishers and Getting Published

Above All, Happy Writing, JJ Diversity Is Not Enough: Race, Power, Publishing “The publishing industry looks a lot like these best-selling teenage dystopias: white and full of people destroying each other to survive.” Click link:  Read article here  before my discussion: I agree that this is apparently so.   Also, I do think the conversation requires more finesse and maturity if we are to break the vicious cycles that enforce limitations. Everything is subject to change including any glass ceiling, especially if we loosen our mass belief in it. Let's narrow this discussion down. It is in being specific that we may be most likely to access universally accurate assessments and solutions. And I will quote the article itself in fact to underscore my point: "By blaming an intangible force, the (publishing industry) absolves itself of any responsibility…" brackets are mine Exchange the words in  brackets and it is easy to see that this sentence ...

A Prequel to Papa Bois: ESCAPE FROM SILK COTTON FOREST

The author's animated readings score big with avid fans.   ESCAPE FROM SILK COTTON FOREST - Francis Escayg "Now that's what I call great writing; but don't take my word for it, read the book and see for yourself." Cherian Gordon, Caribbean Compass Series Editor's Q & A with the author: JJ: I call it a prequel to Papa Bois although its a bit of a "spolier" to what comes in the end, but I do this because I feel so strongly that it's a good thing for Caribbean people to make that  connection. Did you set out to write how Papa Bois came into existence or did it evolve into that? FE : It certainly did evolve into that. And the “spoiler” I think piques the curiosity because many people never thought of this character as having to grow into or to earn the title Papa Bois. It was just accepted that He has always been there, one with everything from the beginning of time. JJ: The Lorax, a Dr. Seuss creation, is ma...